[HFDlist] Fwd: FAST-ED Scoring

Ethan Naiman enaiman at holdenma.gov
Wed Aug 12 12:29:48 UTC 2020

  Please see attached message from CMEMSC..

Thanks,

  Ethan
----- Forwarded message from Nick DaDalt <ndadalt at cmemsc.org> -----
   Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 15:24:31 -0400
   From: Nick DaDalt <ndadalt at cmemsc.org>
Subject: FAST-ED Scoring
     To: 'Nick DaDalt' <ndadalt at cmemsc.org>
     Cc: 'Tina Dixson' <tdixson at cmemsc.org>, 'David Pederzani'
<dpederzani at cmemsc.org>, 'Deb Foss' <dfoss at cmemsc.org>,
awmarino at gmail.com, "'Rucho, Mary'" <Mary.Rucho at umassmemorial.org>

   Good Afternoon Training Officers,

   I hope this message finds you all well.  Please see below for a
request from the UMass-Memorial University Campus Department of
Neurology with regard to the importance of crew members stating the
FAST-ED score over their CMED patches.  We cannot emphasize enough the
importance of early and accurate Stroke Alerts to receiving facilities
consistent with our treatment protocols (which specify the use of the
FAST-ED Stroke Scale).

   While a FAST-ED Score may not yet (legislation pending) determine a
transport destination (Comprehensive Stroke Center vs closest Stroke
Primary Stroke Service) based on the likelihood of LVO, it does save
critical time in preparing the required resources for patients that
may benefit from time-sensitive treatment.

   Facilities and your services alike may benefit from using the
attached CMED Report and Patient Hand-Off Tool that our Medical
Services Committee proposed and designed.  This tool was distributed
in a pocket tear-off notepad format during EMS week.  If you’d like to
utilize this tool, you may print your own or contact the CMEMSC team
if you’d like to order it in pad format.

   As always, please reach out to the CMEMSC team at any time if you
need assistance or if you have any questions/concerns.

   Stay safe and healthy,

   Nick

   NICHOLAS J. DADALT

   EDUCATION DIRECTOR

   Central MA EMS Corp.

   361 Holden Street

   Holden, MA 01520

   office: 508.854.0111 | mobile: 508.868.8110 | CMED (24/7): 508.854.0100

   ndadalt at cmemsc.org

   http://www.cmemsc.org

     FROM: Nydam, Richard

     SENT: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 13:27
SUBJECT: FAST ED

    I was wondering if you had a simple way to get the information to
the services about the importance of reporting FAST ED scores during
their radio patch.  We don’t have any data yet but the anecdotal data
suggests that a large percentage of EMS bringing in pts with stroke
are not providing this in their patch but are including it in their
EMS run form.

It's important for them to know that, based off of that data, we
activate one or two stroke teams (Code Stroke or Code Stroke LVO) and
having that information in the patch allows the teams to assemble TPA.

    Any thoughts on how we could communicate this?  Anything you think
I could do to assist?

    Thanks

    Bob

    ROBERT G. FLADE, MS, RN

    Clinical Quality Projects Manager

    UMassMemorial Health Care

    University Campus

    Department of Neurology Administration

    55 Lake Avenue North

    Worcester, MA 01655

    Office phone:  774 443-4452

privileged material. Any review, transmission, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance
upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from any computer.

----- End forwarded message -----
    Ethan Naiman
   EMS Coordinator
   Office: 508-210-5659