[HFDlist] Equipment Updates

Ethan Naiman enaiman at holdenma.gov
Sat Mar 21 17:42:20 UTC 2020

All,

Please be advised that as of this morning (3/21), a single Albuterol
MDI has been placed on each ambulance. I was hoping to receive
combivents, but those were in  even shorter supply. Like most PPE
supply, a variety of medications are now on allocation to EMS
agencies. All MDIs are single patient use only, and will need to be
discarded after use. Please be mindful of the patients who you are
administering MDIs to, and reserve them only for the patients that
need them most. Per the COVID-19 OEMS protocol, nebulizers may be
deferred to the ER. MDIs have been placed in the large black
medication pelican case.

I have attached training videos for the inline MDI adapters for
ventilator dependant patients, as well as an image of how it should be
connected. MDI adapters have been placed in the Ventilator side pouch.

We should also be placing (blue) HME filters between the patient and
the vent, or between the patient and the bvm to reduce the risk of
exposure. Please refer to the OEMS protocol and V4 of the HFD
guideline for best practices for intubation/igel use.  HME filters can
be found with the ventilator (as usual), in the bvm cabinet, and the
the oxygen bag.

MDI video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iP2QcNr2y8

Thanks,
Ethan