[HFDlist] PPE requirement for 32 Mayo/MOLST/L&D/Other Reminders

Ethan Naiman enaiman at holdenma.gov
Tue Apr 7 13:14:24 UTC 2020

  Good Morning,

To elaborate on the Chief's email, the advisory from MA DPH regarding
PPE includes all long term facilities. This should include all group
homes or similar facilities. PPE for calls in these facilities should
include the use of N95/Gloves/Gown/Eye Protection for the provider and
Surgical Mask for the patient. Our response guidelines will be updated
to reflect these recommendations.

Attached is an emergency update from DPH to STP 7.3 regarding the
verification of DNR/MOLST forms. This update allows for patients and
patient guardians to provide verbal consent to Physicians to enact a
DNR/MOLST form when regular means of obtaining a signature is
impossible. An official DNR/MOLST form  with documentation of verbal
consent must still be presented. This emergency update is valid only
during the declared state of emergency.

Also attached is emergency waiver from DPH for L&D patients, who
during the state of emergency, may at the discretion of the receiving
hospital be transported directly to a Labor and Delivery unit without
the need to be evaluated in the ED first.

I anticipate some emergency changes to the cessation/withholding of
resuscitation protocols in the coming days. I will keep you abreast to
these changes as I receive them. For now, please continue to use
due-diligence when responding to cardiac arrests, providing a detailed
primary assessment to determine the need to begin resuscitative
efforts, and to minimize the risk of exposure spread by using the
current cessation of resuscitation protocol (termination with med
control after 20 minutes of efforts for Asystole/PEA).

Lastly, please remember the importance of removing soiled PPE from all
scenes and disposing of it properly. Please encourage other responding
agencies to do the same.

I appreciate everyone's continued dedication and ability to adapt to a
very fluid situation. I am always available by phone if you have
questions or concerns during a call -- please dont hesitate to reach
out.

Stay safe,
Ethan

Quoting Russ Hall <rhall at holdenma.gov>:

> All:
>
> Attached is an update from MA DPH regarding PPE when entering
> nursing homes.  Per their guidelines, EMS providers should assume
> that any patient called for is a positive COVID-19 case.  All
> members should be donning full PPE protection prior to entering the
> facility.
>
> Thanks:
>
> Russ
>
> --
> Russ Hall
> Fire Chief/EMD
> Holden Fire Dept.
> 1370 Main Street
> Holden, MA 01520508-210-5650
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:   The contents of this email message and any
attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain
confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or
their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message
and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message
or its attachments is strictly prohibited.