[HFDlist] COVID-19 Department Update

Russ Hall rhall at holdenma.gov
Fri Apr 3 16:27:19 UTC 2020

All:

  As we progress further into the COVID-19 pandemic and the nationwide
state of emergency, I wanted to thank you all for continuing to push
forward the mission of the department by providing high level emergency
services to the residents of the town.This has been unchartered
territory for all of us and the guidance is ever changing.We continue to
monitor information from the federal government, MEMA and MA DPH to
ensure that we are a step ahead to protect all of our members.

  According to DPH, we are coming into what is termed the peak of the
virus in Massachusetts over the next few weeks; hopefully the social
distancing will slow the number of seriously ill patients that we
encounter here in Holden.Please remember that your PPE is very important
during this crisis and we are working on a daily basis to bolster our
supply.On EMS responses, be cautious and have a high degree of suspicion
even if dispatch advises that there is a negative response to the COVID
questions.The state EMS Medical Director has reported that hospitals
have been seeing patients who are presenting with different modalities
than what has been reported and the symptoms may not always line up with
the norm.We have recently added masks to the fire apparatus and members
should be wearing these on fire responses when entering homes/commercial
occupancies where SCBA is not indicated.We have ordered disinfectant
solutions to disinfect the hard surfaces in the stations and for use in
the ambulances and apparatus.

  For those that  have not seen it, I have attached a FAQ sheet that was
put together by FF/EM Coordinator Montiverdi regarding the COVID-19
virus.He has been constantly working and looking at all aspects of the
pandemic and is a great resource for the department and the town.As we
are in this for the long haul it seems, please stay vigilant in your
daily functions and wear your PPE.

Be safe:

  Chief Hall

Fire Chief/EMD