[HFDlist] Staffing of Chaffins

Russ Hall rhall at holdenma.gov
Mon Jul 1 12:41:42 UTC 2019

All:

As of today, 7/1/19 we will be staffing the Chaffins Sub-Station 7a-7p, 7 days per week.  With this new staffing plan, 2 FF’s will be detailed there from the complement of on duty staff.  At a minimum, 3 FF’s will staff HQ with 2 staffing Chaffins.  With full staffing there will be 6 FF’s on duty during the 7a-7p period.  Under this new model, we will be responding an Engine or Ambulance out of the station based upon the call at hand.  With today’s high flammability rates of the chemical makeups of common household products, fire doubles in size exponentially as the second tick and the goal is to get some type of agent on it as quickly as possible.  That being said, by staffing this station it will reduce our response times for both Fire and EMS responses in the South sector of town.  We will be using Malden Street and Salisbury Street as the dividing line for the 2 districts, shaded maps will be coming for each station outlining response districts.

Moving forward, the Chaffins station will now be referred to as Station 2 with any radio communications to command or dispatch.  When returning or signing off in quarters, it will be identified as Station 2.  The cleaning company which was responsible for the bi-monthly cleaning has been let go and the duty crews will be maintaining the office, dayroom and bathroom areas daily along with the apparatus bay area weekly.  The engines will be checked and cleaned on a regular basis as well.  It is expected that after hours during recalls, the cleanliness of the station and apparatus will be maintained.  We have made quite a few updates to the station to make it livable for those who have to spend a significant amount of time there and it is expected to be maintained that way 24 hours a day.  Moving forward, we will be looking at air conditioning options for the space.

Attached are the first draft of the response SOG’s for when Station 2 is staffed and when it is unstaffed.  These will be integrated into the comprehensive SOP/SOG manual that is coming out shortly.  Please understand that this is new and I am sure some of it will be changed as we start to see how it works.  As the department continues to grow, change occurs and we all have to move forward with it.  Today is the 10 year anniversary of the start of our EMS service which was a big change a decade ago and we now are moving into the next phase of change.  Change might be hard for some but in change we move ahead stronger and better than before.

Chief Hall