[HFDlist] Training

jpoznanski at holdenma.gov jpoznanski at holdenma.gov
Fri Jul 28 20:46:57 EDT 2017

Hello all,

Now that July is almost over, we are finally through the promotional
process and people's vacations are coming to an end, it's time to get
back to TRAINING. We have a great class on transitional fire attack
with some fire behavior on August 1st. Chaffin's crews, please be at
HQ with apparatus and PPE no later than 1830 hrs.

Tower 1 is back in service. Most equipment is back on the truck with
the exception of a few items we are still waiting for. We no longer
have the "Big Ass Fan" (also known as the Very large negative pressure
fan used as a PPV). Until the new fans come in, Engine 4's blowhard
will be the only fan on the Tower, leaving Engine 4 with 1 negative
pressure smoke ejector. We have a full compliment of new handtools.
The Drivers side of the vehicle will have all standard pike poles in
the rear 6', 8' and 10'. The only exception on the drivers side is in
the jump seat where there is a 4' NY Hook. The Officers side of the
vehicle has Boston Rakes in the rear 6', 8' and 10' with a 4' in the
jumpseat. All 4' hooks have D handles, all 6' hooks have gas shutoffs.
The bumper has a set of irons (halligan/flathead), TNT tool, 3' Boston
Rake with D Handle and the New Griff Tool, which is a 5' NY Hook with
a chisel. Please make yourselves familiar with the layout of the
equipment. Be advised that compartments might change as new equipment
comes in, we will keep you advised.

Please take 5 minutes over the next few days to make yourselves
familiar with the use of the NY Hook and Griff Tool. I have a attached
a video to help you understand how the tool works, PLEASE watch......
My guess is that you might be tested on Aug 1st. Feel free to go to
youtube.com and enter "How to use a NY roof hook", lots of great
videos!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc4vsHOBwI8

Any questions please feel free to ask. Remember, the fire service is
not a country club, peoples lives depend on us knowing what to do when
they need us. Not being prepared for battle may cause serious injury
or death to not only you but to your fellow firefighters and the
citizens we protect. Stay Safe!

Thanks!!
Josh

Joshua Poznanski