[HFDlist] I AM Responding Alert - ATT users

Russ Hall rhall at holdenma.gov
Fri Jul 7 18:40:22 UTC 2023

All:

Please see the alert from IAR regarding some text to email message
issues with ATT.  If you are not receiving messages and alerts, please
try the steps outlined below and if it persists, please let us know.

Thanks:

Chief Hall

6.30.2023: We are aware of an issue outside of our network affecting the
delivery of IamResponding text messages to some AT&T text addresses. We
suggest that you NOT rely on AT&T text messaging as your primary method
of receiving IamResponding notices and alerts. Instead, we highly
suggest using push notifications to the IaR app, and email alerts as
your primary messaging pathways for receiving IamResponding notices and
alerts, as those are not affected by this AT&T issue. This is why we
provide these redundant messaging pathways for all users. Why is this
AT&T issue happening? AT&T has made some changes recently to how they
process and deliver (or block) email-to-text Text Messages to your
device. This is when your text message originates from an email address.
This is how IamResponding sends text messages to all our users, through
their cellular carrier’s email-to-text Text Message Address. We received
the following information from AT&T relevant to this issue (If you have
not done so already, please consider downloading the AT&T ActiveArmor
app described in their notice below, and ALLOW Email-to-Text messages as
outlined in their notice): Due to the increasing spam text messages our
customers receive, AT&T has enabled Email-to-Text Blocking. This gives
AT&T mobile device users the ability to block all SMS and MMS messages
coming from email addresses, which is a major source of spam. This
feature can be enabled on the AT&T ActiveArmor mobile security app. It
works on an “all or nothing” basis. If a customer turns this feature
“on,” they may inadvertently block emergency or urgent text messages
sent by govt. agencies if the agency used email to send text messages.
(Note that FirstNet users will not have the option to turn this feature
on.) Why does this matter? AT&T wants public safety and government
entities to be aware of Email-to-Text Blocking’s availability. Any group
or organization that legitimately uses email origination of SMS/MMS as
part of its communication toolkit should make sure that its user
community understands the tool’s potential for unintended disruption of
those valid messages. We give a clear notice when a customer activates
the switch that all texts from emails will be blocked, which may include
wanted messages. Customers who enable Email-to-Text blocking can also
choose to cancel it using the same on/off toggle on the ActiveArmor app.
The email-to-text switch will not block Wireless Emergency Alerts. Most
phones give the ability to turn off emergency alerts, as well. Should
users of Email-to-Text Blocking have questions or issues, they should
contact AT&T Customer Care by dialing 611 from their AT&T mobile device.

Fire Chief/EMD