[HFDlist] Updating KNOX box system

Sean Smith ssmith at holdenma.gov
Fri Oct 1 12:26:05 UTC 2021

Good Morning,

As you may have heard by now, the Department has decided to change
vendors for our emergency key access system. We will be switching from
EAS to KNOX products. This will involve changing the key tumblers on all
of the building lock boxes in Town, updating the key secures in the
apparatus, and upgrading the control boards in the ambulance medication
vaults. As we roll out these changes in the next few weeks, please
expect the following:

- The apparatus key secures will all be changed to the KNOX keys. The
old EAS key will be secured to the new KNOX key with a tamper proof key
ring. We will continue to carry both keys in the apparatus during this
transition, then for a period of time to ensure no buildings boxes have
been missed.

- Starting next week, we will start changing the tumblers on all of the
140 building lock boxes around town. This process is expected to take a
few weeks. We will also be checking the buildings keys in the boxes to
make sure they still work, which hasn't been done in a few years.

- The medication vault control boards in the ambulances have all been
updated to a cloud based program system.

- If a business or property owner would like to purchase a new KNOX box,
there is now a online ordering system set up eliminating the old paper
forms. This link can be found on the Fire Departments website.

If you come across any unexpected issues in the next few months, please
reach out to myself, FF Naiman, or FF Lyons.

Thank you for your corporation with this project.

Sean

--
Sean M. Smith
Deputy Chief