[HFDlist] DRIVING SAFETY-REMINDER

Leah Francese-Wood lfwood at holdenma.gov
Fri Dec 15 09:29:43 EST 2017

A reminder for all-

Now that winter as arrived we all need to be cautious when driving the
apparatus, especially during a storm or when the temperatures get low
enough to cause black ice. Due to the weight of the trucks they are more
difficult to handle and stop during such conditions. As we should drive
with due regard anytime we drive apparatus or our own P.O.V's.

When responding to the stations for a call we must obey all local and
state traffic laws, along with department S.O.G/S.O.P's, even with our
red lights on. It is a courtesy for people to pull to the side and let
us pass. When doing so we MUST do so cautiously with due regard,
especially if this causes you to go into the other lane to oncoming
traffic, stop at all intersections, stop signs and traffic lights.
Violations of such S.O.G/S.O.P's and laws can and will cause the
suspension of red light permits or worse some one could get hurt or
killed. I would like to believe that everyone would like to look
professional, not just for themselves but for the department as well.
Our actions reflect on the whole department. So please keep the road
conditions in mind when driving and beware of other drivers as well.
  Please drive safe, Lt. Fasshauer